Tuesday, September 16, 2014

8th day - 11th sep 2014 - Puncture Hell and 4 Wild Dogs!

8th day - 11th sep 2014
********************
It occurred to me yesterday that I would be cycling on the D911 and I thought I would wait and see when that would be.  Somewhat serendipitously it is on 9/11.  September 11th 2014.

I think it is fair to say that the world did not turn the right way due to events that day.
We need to still try to get along as a species and that did not help.

I am very sorry for people who lost someone.  Including a new friend of mine.
**************************

Morning View:
    Millau & Saint-Beauzely - Midi-Pyrenees



7:30am Freezing night. While it is sunny in the day and 5 days out of 7 a blue sky I'm very disappointed in the southern evening temperature.  However, for cycling it is perfect. No humidity (less sweating) and sunshine if you want it or cover up if not.  Any hotter and it would make the water consumption/availability become a problem.  So I have 'Great Ambivalence' about the temperature, then...

(Yellow route near st beauzely = short route).

930 start 3 raw eggs breakfast, erp..Scuse-Me!

First sign post:


D911
I named this "Sheep Mountain" (click/zoom in).
In French "Mouton Montagne" pron. 'mooton mootanya'.



Millau - expensive looking people!
(Looks all downhill, great, but only different, as dangerous lorries wear the nerves, holding on tight and freezing as not warmed up yet).

D809

The thing I keep remember-forgetting to type here is about the smells. A real range from pine-ish in forests, freshly cut grass on a small lorry, road-kill mixed with freshly baked bread, musty trees and the unforgettably unique aroma of a babies nappy heat-rotting in a discarded Le clercx shopping bag.  Each Unmistakable!

Arf...Flat back tire!!!!! Shouldn't have spent all that time above BSing!
But really good going to not get one so far.

Ok nearly 2 hours later still mending, lesson: bring a spare, these are brand new so....I didn't. Hope this glue is ok, feels ok. Erm, also ensure you have the yellow crayon. I just fixed this then it went again as I got the plaster right on the edge of the damage.

Fingers...

Ok, Luckily it went, again, just before I got on the main route.
Local shop is...local thank goodness...
A very nice man helped me and supplied new glue.

Arcuri Cycles


3pm! 50 miles to go!!  6 hours till dark.



The positives: less strong sun! Icecream and yop! (But don't tell anyone)

Leaving Millau - up a serious incline..




Bike issues:fixed at least two sticking links in chain that is causing clicks as you pedal which is an alarming sound you don't need with lorries next to you.  Upshot? it's flat road again.

D809

More links clicking and fixed. Not funny anymore. Seems everything went wrong after I first saw the Montpellier sign. Hufz...6pm.

Ok epiphany. Hint: at 550+ miles even a brand new chain may need more greese, so bring some!
If none you 'could' use laughing cow soft cheese but I didn't say that....enjoy licking your fingers afterwards.

(Le Caylar, La Cavalerie & La Couverto - Midi-Pyrenees & Languedoc)



7pm Couple of old guys say it's 4 hours on bike to MontPellier.
"And" I won't do it tonight.
Ok wrong thing to say to 'me' right?
As now I have to!

Le Caylar - Not into Lodève - D9 @8pm (close but not into clairmont l h)

This morning I happened to grab 2 emergency sugars from the hotel room,
a long shot, but yum for energy. (I may take off as not used to it).

Clear, star-y night.
Finally, Warm wind yay!

Huge huge downhill, nice lights below. Bad road surface.
Arboras @10pm beach town feel.
Montpeyroux (another smell) of beer or wine at brewery.

Gignac - really nice big town square - turns can be misleading!
D619

@2330 MontPellier within minutes now (3 miles)
Very sharp pain in knees and very sore bum from speedy downhills.
Great fun!?
Aawwwww

Finding a place to sleep has always been noisy as next to the road so - can sleep instantly and resume cycling instantly also.

Anyway this time... I disturbed 4 wild dogs or wolves, small ish like a house dog. Looked well fed really. Not scrawny anyway.

Glad they were running towards, but to my right, as obviously best they are scared of you!

Dinner is one raw egg and hosepipe water. Great aroma there.

You can't take anything away from a man who has lived under these conditions.
Everything is a luxury from now!
Sad I missed my pizza. I'll have it tomorrow instead! (edit: I didn't!)


1:30 Am in - Warm-er night in the south, but not 'warm'. I must remember that my beardy-stubble makes a sound against the sides as it's pretty scary hearing something sound so close in the night!